Hours to obtain property from the Bullhead City Police Department are 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Please follow the listed guidelines below for ease in obtaining your property:
- Please call (928) 763-9200 and ask for “Property and Evidence” to make an appointment. Be sure you have your case log number handy.
- Bring photo identification.
- Property can only be released to the owner. However, items may be released to someone other than the owner with a notarized letter from the owner.
- Release of firearms requires a background investigation.
- Fill out and bring this Weapons Release Request form with you.
PLEASE NOTE: Property being held as evidence in an open investigation cannot be released by Property and Evidence custodians. Please contact the case officer.
Non-contraband evidence items may be released 100 days from the sentencing date.
30 Day Vehicle Impounds
If your vehicle was impounded by the Bullhead City Police Department for a 30 day impoundment, please read the information the officer gave you at the time of impoundment for instructions. If your vehicle was impounded by another law enforcement agency, you must contact that department directly for assistance in obtaining the release of your vehicle. If your vehicle was impounded as evidence, these procedures DO NOT apply. Please contact the Bullhead City Police Department Property and Evidence Unit at (928) 763-9200 for more information on a vehicle impounded as evidence.
- In most cases you must wait 30 days before your vehicle can be released.
- You can ONLY arrange to have your vehicle released by contacting the Bullhead City Police Department. The towing company CANNOT release the vehicle back to you without permission from the police department.
- In some cases you may be able to get your vehicle back before the end of the 30 days, but you will still have to pay all fees and charges.
How do I get my vehicle back?
On or after the 30th day of impound, your vehicle will generally be eligible for release to you. To have it released, follow these steps:
- Come to the Bullhead City Police Department, at 1255 Marina Blvd., between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
- Contact with the Bullhead City Police Department does not guarantee release of the vehicle the same day. An appointment may be required.
- Bring with you a valid driver's license, valid registration, and proof of current financial responsibility. We cannot release your vehicle to you until these documents are valid and current. Note: if your driving privilege cannot be restored by the end of the 30 day impound period (for example, it has been suspended for one year), you may bring a fully licensed driver with you, on the 30th day or after, to drive the vehicle upon release. You must still have valid identification, valid vehicle registration, and proof of current financial responsibility before the vehicle will be released.
- At the Police Department, an administrative fee of $150.00 will be collected before you receive a release for your vehicle by cash, personal check, money order, and credit or debit only.
- At the towing company, you must pay the towing and storage fees to include the flat rate tow charge and $15 per day storage fee. Payment is made directly to the towing company. If you come to the tow yard outside of normal business hours, you may be charged an additional gate fee. You must also present proof of your identity and vehicle ownership to the tow company.
- If you do not claim your vehicle within ten (10) days of the available release date, the towing company may file for abandoned title to the vehicle. (A.R.S. 28-3515 & A.R.S. 28-4838)
What if someone other than the owner was driving the vehicle when it was impounded?
The owner of the vehicle is responsible for paying all fees and charges in order to have the vehicle released. If someone else was driving, the owner may have to seek civil action against the driver for any expenses incurred as a result of the impound.
What if I own the vehicle, but have not yet transferred the title into my name? Can I still get the car back?
Yes. You must first meet the legal title and registration requirements and the vehicle can be released to you on the 30th day or after.
No. As long as the officer impounded your vehicle according to the law and our procedures, the outcome of any subsequent trial is not relevant.
Under the law, the owner, owner's spouse, their agent, or lien holder are the only persons who can have the vehicle released. If you are the vehicle's owner and your license is still not valid at the end of the 30 day period, you must present valid registration and insurance, and have someone with you who has a valid license in order to have your vehicle released.
Yes, you may schedule a hearing if you are the registered owner, spouse, or anyone other than the owner identified on the department's record as having an interest in the vehicle at the time of removal and impoundment. If you do want a hearing, you may make a request to the Bullhead City Police Department in writing, in person, or by telephone by calling Support Services Division Manager Bradley Oliver at (928) 763-9200 ext. 236.
We must receive your request for a hearing no later than ten (10) days after the date of the vehicle impoundment notice.
Hearings are generally held over the telephone, but can be done in person. There is no fee or charge for a hearing and no attorney is required.
Bullhead City Police Department Found Property
1. Listed below is found property that has been turned into the Bullhead City Police Department.
2. Found property will be posted for a period of 30 days.
3. All found property requires proof of ownership prior to the claim be approved.
4. Point of contact for found property is the Bullhead City Police Department's Property and Evidence Section at (928) 763-9200.
CASE ITEM FOUND LOCATION FOUND DATE FINAL CLAIM DATE
LF18-000728 Welding apron & tools Stallion Rd 11-10-18 12-10-18
LF18-000729 Hard hat Stallion Rd 11-10-18 12-10-18
LF18-000754 iPad Community Park 11-20-18 12-20-18
LF18-000753 Key Rotary Park 11-18-18 12-20-18